- 2021 - Present: Postdoctoral researcher (Nolan Lab), Centre for Discovery Brain Sciences, University of Edinburgh.
- 2016 - 2021: PhD Biomedical Sciences. BBSRC Eastbio DTP.
- 2011 - 2016: MSci (Hons) Neuroscience, University of Glasgow.
- 2014 - 2015: Industrial placement student at Eli Lilly Pharmaceutical Company, Surrey, UK.
- June - August 2013: Wellcome Trust Summer Scholarship Student, University of Glasgow.
My research focuses on investigating long range inputs to the medial and lateral entorhinal cortex in relation to associative memory encoding. I apply ex vivo slice electrophysiology and optogenetics, as well as anatomical tracing techniques and activity labelling.
Gerlei, K. Z., Brown, C. M., Sürmeli, G., Nolan, M. F. (2021). Extensive axon reconstructions provide insight into local projection targets in medial and lateral entorhinal cortex layer 5 cells, Trends in Neuroscience, pp.1-12. doi: 10.1016/j.tins.2021.08.003.
Huma Z, Du Beau A, Brown C, Maxwell DJ. (2014) Origin and neurochemical properties of bulbospinal neurons projecting to the rat lumbar spinal cord via the medial longitudinal fasciculus and caudal ventrolateral medulla, Frontiers in Neural Circuits, 8:40. doi: 10.3389/fncir.2014.00040.