- 2022 - present: Academic Track Lecturer (Reproductive Biology), University of Edinburgh
- 2014 - 2021: Postdoctoral Research Scientist, MRC Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Edinburgh
- 2009 - 2013: PhD in Biomedical Science, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- 2008: BSc(Hons) in Biomedical Science, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Establishment of the human ovarian reserve and dynamics surrounding follicle loss
- Effects of chemotherapy on the human ovary and methods for chemoprotection
- Exploration of putative oogonial stem cells
Funding and Awards
- 2022: Society for Reproduction and Fertility - New Investigator Award 2022.
- 2021-2023: TENOVUS Scotland. ‘Defining cell-specific effects of chemotherapy in the human ovary and the potential for protection’ with Profs R Anderson and E Telfer.
- 2021: Barbour Watson Trust Award. ‘Identification of cell-specific pathways affected by chemotherapy exposure’.
- 2020: Deanery of Clinical Sciences Funding Challenge Award ‘Can oogonial stem cells form mature oocytes?’.
- 2020: Barbour Watson Trust Award ‘Atlas of the human fetal ovary and putative ovarian stem cell transcriptomes’.
- 2019-2021: Wellbeing of Women Postdoctoral Award ‘Pathogenesis of Fragile X- associated premature ovarian insufficiency’.
- 2018-2021: BBSRC Responsive Mode Grant (Research Co-Investigator) with Profs R Anderson and I Adams. ‘Identification of human-specific regulatory mechanisms in female germ cell development.
- 2018: Society for Endocrinology Early Career Grant. ‘Identification of BOLL targets in the human fetal ovary’.
- Professor Richard Anderson (University of Edinburgh)
- Professor Evelyn Telfer (University of Edinburgh)
- Professor Ian Adams (University of Edinburgh)
- A/Professor Karla Hutt (University of Melbourne)
- A/Prof Susana Chuva de Sousa Lopes (Leiden University)
Rosario R, Anderson RA. (2021) Novel approaches to fertility restoration in women with premature ovarian insufficiency. Climacteric. 24(5):491-497.
Rosario R, Anderson RA. (2021) Recent advances in unravelling the genetic aetiology of premature ovarian insufficiency. Current Opinion in Endocrine and Metabolic Research. 18:8-14.
Rosario R, Anderson RA. (2020) The molecular mechanisms that underlie fragile X-associated premature ovarian insufficiency: is it RNA or protein based? Molecular Human Reproduction 26(10):727-737
Rosario R, Stewart HL, Walshe E, Anderson RA. (2020) Reduced retinoic acid synthesis accelerates prophase I and follicle activation. Reproduction. 160:331-41.
Hartanti MD, Rosario R, Hummitzsch K, Bastian NA, Hatzirodos N, Bonner WM, Bayne RA, Irving-Rodgers HF, Anderson RA, Rodgers RJ. (2020) Could perturbed fetal development of the ovary contribute to the development of polycystic ovary syndrome in later life? PLoS One 15:e0229351.
Liu M, Hummitzsch K, Hartanti MD, Rosario R, Bastian NA, Hatzirodos N, Bonner WM, Irving-Rodgers HF, Laven JSE, Anderson RA et al. (2020) Analysis of expression of candidate genes for polycystic ovary syndrome in adult and fetal human and fetal bovine ovaries. Biology of Reproduction 103:840-53.
Rosario R, Crichton JH, Stewart HL, Childs AJ, Adams IR, Anderson RA (2019) Dazl determines primordial follicle formation through the translational regulation of Tex14. FASEB J. 33:14221-33.
Cheng WT, Rosario R, Muthukaruppan A. Wilson M, Payne K, Fong P, Shelling AN, Blenkiron C (2017) MicroRNA Profiling of Ovarian Granulosa Cell Tumours Reveals Novel Diagnostic and Prognostic Markers. Clinical Epigenetics 9:72
Rosario R, Childs AJ, Anderson RA (2017) RNA-binding proteins in human oogenesis: balancing differentiation and self-renewal in the female fetal germline. Stem Cell Research 21:193-201.
Rosario R, Smith RWP, Adams IR, Anderson RA (2017) RNA immunoprecipitation identifies novel DAZL targets in the human fetal ovary. Molecular Human Reproduction 23:177-86.
Dauros Singorenko P, Rosario R, Windsor JA, Phillips AR, Blenkiron C (2017) The transcriptional responses of cultured wound cells to the excretions and secretions of medicinal Lucilia sericata larvae. Wound Repair and Regeneration 25:51-61.
Rosario R, Filis P, Tessyman V, Kinnell H, Childs AJ, Gray NK, Anderson RA (2016) FMRP Associates with Cytoplasmic Granules at the Onset of Meiosis in the Human Oocyte. PLoS One 11:e0163987. Rosario R, Adams IR, Anderson RA (2016) Is there a role for DAZL in human female fertility? Molecular Human Reproduction 22:377-83.
Information for students:
Willingness to discuss research projects with undergraduate and postgraduate students: YES - please click here