- 2016 – present: Edinburgh-Zhejiang tenure-track lecturer in computational cognitive neuroscience, University of Edinburgh, UK
- 2009 – 2015: Postdoctoral fellow in cognitive neuroscience and population genetics, University of Basel, Switzerland
- 2004 – 2009: PhD student in behavioural and computational neuroscience, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2001 – 2004: B.Sc. student in computational science and bioinformatics, Jacobs University, Bremen, Germany
- 2003: URP at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY, US
The main goal of my research is trying to understand computational mechanisms of learning, memory and decision making as well as how various modulatory factors such as stress, sleep, uncertainty and future discounting affect them.
In particular, we employ reinforcement learning and related models and focus on the role of schemas in these processes, which we address using human studies and animal experiments. We have developed ecologically valid human tasks that integrate schema-based learning and decision making. We also continue the development of online platforms that can be used for digital phenotyping and testing our laboratory-based findings in much larger samples and more interactive settings.
Finally, we also work on large-scale analysis of fMRI data and individual prediction of various emotional and memory phenotypes using multi-voxel pattern analysis.
- Carmen Sandi, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Dominique de Quervain, Andreas Papassotiropoulos, Christian Vogler, University of Basel, Switzerland
- Robin Hill, University of Edinburgh, Informatics
- Richard Morris, Dorothy Tse, University of Edinburgh, CDBS
Hermens F, Luksys G, Gerstner W, Herzog MH & Ernst U (2008). Modeling spatial and temporal aspects of visual backward masking. Psychol Rev 115(1), 83-100. PMID: 18211186, doi: 10.1037/0033-295X.115.1.83
Luksys G, Gerstner W & Sandi C (2009). Stress, genotype and norepinephrine in the prediction of mouse behavior using reinforcement learning. Nat Neurosci 12(9), 1180-6. PMID: 19684590, doi: 10.1038/nn.2374
Luksys G & Sandi C (2011). Neural mechanisms and computations underlying stress effects on learning and memory. Curr Opin Neurobiol 21(3), 502-8. PMID: 21501959, doi: 10.1016/j.conb.2011.03.003
Luksys G, Ackermann S, Coynel D, Fastenrath M, Gschwind L, et al (2014). BAIAP2 is related to emotional modulation of human memory strength. PLoS One 9(1), e83707. PMID: 24392092, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0083707
Luksys G, Fastenrath M, Coynel D, Freytag V, Gschwind L, et al (2015). Computational dissection of human episodic memory reveals mental process-specific genetic profiles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112(35), E4939-48. PMID: 26261317, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1500860112
Gehring TV, Luksys G, Sandi C & Vasilaki E (2015). Detailed classification of swimming paths in the Morris Water Maze: multiple strategies within one trial. Sci Rep 5, 14562. PMID: 26423140, doi: 10.1038/srep14562
Aeberhard A, Gschwind L, Kossowsky J, Luksys G, Papassotiropoulos A, et al (2018). Introducing COSMOS: a Web Platform for Multimodal Game-Based Psychological Assessment Geared Towards Open Science Practice. J Technol Behav Sci 1-11 ISSN: 2366-5963, doi:10.1007/s41347-018-0071-5